Agar (also named agar-agar flake and jelly powder) is natural hydrophilic colloid extracted from various seaweed such as gracilaria and gelidium and its final product feature present as off-white dry powder form or strip form. Agar cannot dissolve cold water, but only be able to dissolve in boiled water.
In its gelling power, agar is outstanding among the hydrocolloids. Among its major properties one can mention its high gel strength at low concentrations, low viscosity in solution, high transparency in solution, thermo-reversible gel and sharp melting/setting temperatures. Agar-agar is also used on a lesser scale in other industrial applications.
FUNCTIONALITY AND APPLICATIONS
- For food industry: It is used in the manufacture of milk, soy sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, salad, dessert cream yogurt, milk products, hard chocolate, gum, candy, etc.
- For medicine: can be used for bacterial growth medium can provide a unique, pure and transparent gel growth of bacteria fermentation, mildew and other applications.
- For health care: series more plays excellent role, is the natural green food, agar is selected from natural marine macrophytes seaweed, seaweed, seaweed gracilaria verrucosa vegetable.
- For high quality cosmetics production: can be used as emulsion, shampoo, hair gel mask, emulsifier, toothpaste added to the product or as a matrix can make paste tissue is more perfect, good dispersion, and easy to wash.
- For plant technology: many countries in the world use agar products plant and plant culture propagation of micro (such as flowers and seedlings, orchid cultivation) can provide long-lasting gel and nutrition.
- For other purposes: used as solid alcohol fuel, for photographic film and photographic paper making mold material.